Sunday, November 2, 2014

Spending Time Like an Introvert: College Apps

College . Oh how I shudder at the word. Writing it, reading it, saying it, thinking about it, it makes me extremely apprehensive, yet it still has the power to intrigue me and make me excited about my future as well. You would think that I'd be afraid of socializing and leaving home, and that's partly true, but the main reason why I feel so anxious about college is the potential rejection. For me, I've thought of college application season as a sadistic, twisted love game. You spend four years of your life prepping yourself for your future suitor until it becomes you're sole motivation to do anything in school. It gets worse because colleges simply lead you on with their elaborate but annoying stalker-esque brochures and pamphlets, but even if you apply that doesn't mean you'll get in. College apps are the equivalent of being stood up in that sense. Oh, and don't forget that you have to pay for those apps without a fee! (And no, there is no refund if you aren't accepted).

So what's a person like me to do? My response: hide under the covers and avoid it all. I's so tempting to sit back and put it off, but eventually it's a tremendous weight that will begin to take a toll on your shoulders until you're reduced to Atlas carrying the world on shoulders (but maybe less dramatic). As an introvert, I don't like talking about it and that is not good to say the least. I think I have this weird avoidance switch in my brain that prevents me from doing anything proactive. I would also wager that it's the reason for my expert procrastinator skills.

For those who haven't done college apps, it's not so hard as it is tedious and technical and that's why you need to do it early. I won't drill into you what every other adult is going to tell you and advise you to do your college apps early, (even though you should). Instead I want to advise you guys to bite the bullet and do it. It's easier said than done because every time college apps cross my mind, my brain shuts down and I quickly repress any thought of doing it. So, I just try to have fun with it and keep myself organized. Every time I start a new account for a college, I write down my login info and any other questions I have about the apps. Part of my apprehension is the fact that I feel this lack of control; I feel so lost because it seems like everyone else knows what they're doing and I'm just floating around without a buoy. I would like to call it a necessary evil.

I feel like this blog post is lacking inspirational words of wisdom, but the honest truth is, I don't have much to say. I'm in the midst of it all myself, and I'm still learning too. So this post is more about venting in the hopes that maybe any of you potential college students can relate and commiserate with me. And that is comforting in and of itself.

-Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment